Paul’s practice relates to intellectual property with a strong focus on trademark, patent and copyright litigation, anti-counterfeiting and parallel trade matters. His scope of legal expertise includes matters related to unfair competition, advertising, media & entertainment law. He also assists clients in distribution matters, in particular negotiations and dispute resolution relating to the termination of agency and distributorship agreements. Over the past decades, Paul has built a vast experience as a litigator, not only before the Belgian courts, but also before the European courts. In this respect, he represented clients in more than ten cases before the Court of Justice of the European Union.
Respected as “an aggressive lawyer with a straightforward approach”, Maeyaert is “someone you want on your side” – World Trademark Review, 2019.
Lauded as “a strong figure” in IP, Maeyaert also stands out as being “a very smart lawyer.” – Chambers Europe, 2019.
Paul Maeyaert is praised by clients for his “hands-on approach” – Chambers Europe, 2018.
Paul Maeyaert is “a tremendous litigator. He’s extremely focused, with a wealth of expertise” – World Trademark Review, 2016.
He represents clients in all sectors going from food and beverage to pharmaceutical and chemical products, automotive, luxury goods, retail, fashion and design, music and entertainment, broadcasting and audio visual production companies.
Paul is a frequent conference speaker and has authored several publications in the areas of intellectual property, distribution and advertising. He also lectures on European trademark law at the Université de Liège, as part of its LL.M program “Competition law and IP” and is a guest lecturer on advertisement law in Brussels at the VUB and the Université Saint-Louis. Paul also lectures at the yearly IP Summer School at Downing College, Cambridge.
Paul regularly assists clients in arbitration and mediation proceedings. He is an accredited mediator and member of the Belgian Federal Mediation Commission since 2014. He is also a member of CEPANI and an accredited mediator with WIPO.
- INTA (and its Committee ‘online publications’)
- MARQUES (and its ‘Famous and Well Known Marks Team’)
- BMM (Benelux Trademark and Industrial Design Attorneys Association and its Anti-Fraud Committee)
- ALAI (Treasurer of the Belgian section BVA-ABA)
- LIDC (Board member of the Belgian section VSMR-AEDC)
- EPLAW (The European Patent Lawyers Association)
- AIPPI (International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property)
- Member of the Editorial Board of the Belgian Intellectual Property Law Review IRDI
- De Handelsnaam, Larcier 2020, 150 p. (The Tradename)
- The Likelihood of Confusion in Trade Mark Law: A Practical Guide to the Case Law of EU Courts, Kluwer Law International 2019, 262 p. (co-author: Jeroen Muyldermans)
- De Bescherming van slogans, IRDI 2020 (The protection of slogans)
- “De Bescherming tegen look-alikes”, Liber Amicorum Michel Flamée, Die Keure, 2017, 105–121 (Protection against look-alikes)
- Chapter on patent law in biyearly overview of legislation and case law related to intellectual property rights, Rechtskundig Weekblad
- “Vergelijkende reclame, mede in het licht van de rechtspraak van het Hof van Justitie”, BIE, 2013, 294-308 and 322-331 (Comparative advertising in the light of the case law of the CJEU)
- “Gebruik en misbruik van merken op het internet”, Social Media, recht of anarchie? Tendensen in het bedrijfsrecht, Brussels, 2012 (Use and misuse of trademarks on the internet)